LiveZilla Live Chat Software

Pepi I (Meryré)


Pepi I (Meryré) (d. 2255 B.C.E.) Second ruler of the
Sixth Dynasty
He reigned from 2289 B.C.E. until his death. Pepi I was
the son and successor of TETI and Queen IPUT (1), who
served as his regent in his first years. An unknown royal
figure, USERKARÉ, possibly served as a coregent before
Pepi I inherited the throne.

Pepi I ruled with a certain vigor and was militarily
innovative. He used General WENI to conduct campaigns
in NUBIA and in the SINAI and Palestine with mercenary
troops from Nubia (modern Sudan). Weni drove off the
Sinai Bedouins and landed his troops on the Mediterranean
coast, having transported them there on vessels.
Pepi I’s vessels were discovered in BYBLOS in modern
Lebanon, and he sent an expedition to PUNT. During
these campaigns Pepi I was called Neferja-hor or Nefersahor.
He took the throne name Meryré or Mery-tawy soon
after. His wives are listed as NEITH (2), IPUT (2), Yamtisy,
WERET-IMTES (2), and Ujebten. Later in his reign he married
two sisters, ANKHNESMERY-RÉ (1), and ANKHNESMERYRÉ
(2).
Pepi I built at ABYDOS, BUBASTIS, DENDEREH, ELEPHANTINE,
and HIERAKONPOLIS. Copper statues fashioned as
portraits of him and his son MERENRÉ I were found at
Hierakonpolis. A HAREM conspiracy directed against him
failed, but one of his older wives disappeared as a result.
His sons, born to Ankhnesmery-Re (1) and (2) were
Merenré I and Pepi II. His daughter was Neith (2).
Pepi I’s pyramid in SAQQARA was called Men-nefer,
“Pepi Is Established and Beautiful.” The Greeks corrupted
that name into MEMPHIS. The complex contains
Pyramid Texts, popular at that time, and his burial chamber
was discovered empty. The sarcophagus had disappeared,
and only a canopic chest was found.

0 Comments: